Thursday, August 25, 2011

Walking the whole of Seoul (2nd post of this blog, so scroll down if you've missed the 1st)

While Bruno spends his day in a meeting, Wendy wears out her feet and sweat glands by checking out the city on foot.

Most major intersections have underground walkways, making it easy to combine a little shopping with my exercise.

I've named this the Zipper Building

Cheonggyecheon Plaza...Just to the right, as I'm taking this photo, an anti-smoking protest is getting out of hand, with smokers and non, pushing and shoving each other and police running around trying to break it up. I try to take a picture, but a police officer waves a warning at me to stop...I don't think I want to be hauled in to jail with this group so I'll just continue on to the palace.

The entrance to GYEONGBOKGUNG, Palace of Shining Happiness



I spend a couple of hours here; it's a huge complex and surprisingly not crowded....my happiness does improve...



I get lost inside this walled section, a maze of corridors and doors and courtyards. After about 10 minutes trying to find the exit, I meet up with a woman and her child also looking for escape. The three of us finally manage to find the exterior gate by leaving trails of rice grains...nah...just kidding on that part, but we were relieved to get out.



Dongjaseok...deity sticks...I'd love to have a few for my 'god collection'...it's true... I have a selection of gods from many places I've visited.


...just when I think I'm going to collapse from the heat, I come across a popular hangout along the Cheonggye stream...right under one of the busiest streets in Seoul!

No comments:

Post a Comment