Friday, August 26, 2011

Off to the DMZ


When Bruno mentioned that he wanted to go to the Demilitarized Zone between North and South Korea, he was advised to be careful...however, the only real danger here is being run over by a tour bus.



We get to walk down into one of the infiltration tunnels ...a very cool, yet uncomfortable experience because we have to walk scrunched over in order not to bash our brains out on the rough, rocky dripping ceilings carved out to accommodate the height of North Korean soldiers. Apparently, N Koreans are much shorter than those in the South, due, no doubt to the effects of malnutrition. So far, four of these tunnels have been discovered and it is speculated there are many more. I regret not sneaking my cell-phone inside to get a picture...

As far as B can go in the DMZ...

Along the border...wishes from those in S Korea for loved ones stuck starving in the north.

A forbidden photo - the Freedom Bridge to North Korea - I don't know why so many countries have issues over photographing anything to do with the military or border crossings. I mean, really...what possible tactical advantage is there to viewing a soldier in a sentry lookout? Besides, if we could sneak this photo easily, a spy could do a lot better. Oops, I hope after posting this, I'm not banned from reentering Korea...we have to fly back to Vancouver from Seoul.

These people are trying to take pics of N Korea. It is forbidden to step over the yellow line with a camera. When one man did so accidently, a guard stormed over, ripped the camera out of the guy's hand, deleted all his photos and threatened to confiscate the camera.

What Bruno managed to snap with his telephoto lens held high over his head...a boring glimpse of a flag pole in North Korea (he thinks it's pretty cool)! Click on the photo to see a close-up of the N Korean flag.

Although these guards (who appeared to be doing nothing but guarding these benches) don't seem too impressed with my squeezing between them, they don't stop me.

We can't go to Korea without eating Korean BBQ. One of the condiments provided is an entire bowl of sliced raw garlic which I sizzle up on the grill and eat almost single-handedly. I reek for almost two days after...

Why is there a piece of coal in my rice? To help cook it (and keep it hot later) inside a giant steamer out on the sidewalk in front of the restaurant.

More street food. You're probably wondering if all we do is eat...pretty much, yes...and walk

Time for a beauty treatment...I think I'll try the #1...I'm pretty sure I've never had one of those before.

The remnants of a great dinner...Kimchee, pickled yellow radishes and Mundu - vegetable and pork dumplings- ... after a first course of Bibimbap - ground meat, bean sprouts, rice and raw egg - all generously doused in chilli sauce, we devour two plates of these delicious dumplings.

Checking out the street scene after dinner

For all your taping needs...

My favorite shoe store!

My favorite snacks

No comments:

Post a Comment