Monday, September 5, 2011

Exploring the island...the end

We're are back in Canada now but here are some photos of our final days in Bali...

These finials top just about every structure here. I try to find out what the design symbolizes but no one seems to know...the only answer I manage to get is that they connect the buildings with God in the sky. When I go to the nearest temple supply store to pick one up for myself, I discover that they are not made out of wood as I had thought, but concrete or pottery and weight A LOT!! Too heavy for my suitcase

I read that it's the law that adults wear helmets but there can't be much enforcement as many don't. Even when people wear them, it's rare to see kids with them on. We are told that child helmets are hard to come by. Hmmm...Maybe there's a business opportunity here...

This little girl is standing on the seat between her parents while they whip along the highway,

This dog seems to be enjoying the ride.

And the pigs...but we know where they're headed.

In addition to mandatory sarongs, some temples have other restrictions. I don't notice any women turning back though.

One of the holiest temples outside Denpasar.

How rice is dried.

At first I thought this was the local hooch, Arak, for sale. Almost every house or store has bottles like this sitting outside. Our driver tells us they are litres of gasoline for sale to scooter drivers. There are very few gas stations in the villages.

Roosters in baskets sit everywhere. Although cock fighting is supposed to be highly illegal (worth five years in jail) it is permitted to 'sacrifice' up to three at a time this way as long as it's done in a temple and there is no gambling involved. I'm pretty sure this is enforced about as much as the helmet law.

more terraces...

These cute little guys are waiting to be made into bunnie satay.

The manager of our hotel suggests a drive to the northern lakes of the island and hires us a car and driver.



Durians!

It is also suggested that we drive out to Tunah Lot on the West coast to see the sunset from the temple carved out of an island. Apparently it will be peaceful and beautiful. But no one in Nusa Dua remembers that today is a government holiday and everybody from Jakarta has come to Bali to do the exact same thing and to check out other sacred items near the site.





I'm reconsidering whether I want to wait for sunset. What happens if the tide comes in and I have to swim back to shore in the dark along with 20,000 others??

Perhaps many are thinking the same, as only a few are seen hiking up to the temple's sunset terrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment